Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

FRIDAY FEATURE: The Humble Abode

So this is my first Humble Abode feature. For those who didn't read Tuesday's post-I am featuring real home improvement projects I'm doing around our house. Like I said before-now that we are home I'm feeling really inspired to work on the house again-and it needs alot of work! hahaha....no really it does...

My first project is the uninspired and slightly dilapidated staircase (and the trim).They are wood but not a high grade wood that I would want to refinish. The steps currently have an awful Home Depot off the rack runner that I have left for the anti-slip properties it possesses (kids-ya know). You can see how beat-up the wood is in the pics and the stuff that looks like dust is actually like glue or permadirt or both-lol like it does not clean up--old houses--you gotta grind it or paint over it or both! All the trims and railings in this area and the whole house for that matter, are going to be painted in a fresh gloss white-I'm thinking Atrium white from Benjamin Moore.

I've been thinking alot about wall color here. The staircase connects the upper bedroom hall with the lower hall where the bathroom office and living room converge-but it is separate-you can close off the living room door to that hall. So I'm not worried about seamlessness but maybe complimentary colors to those living spaces. hmmmm

Also the downstairs hall and staircase are lacking in natural light and the staircase goes way up--lots of wall. I love the  thought of a kelly green wall or something but I think it would be a big shamrock nightmare! hmmm

I don't want it to be totally boring either--I mean I love grey but Northern Michigan gives me plenty of that and like I said the light in there is terrible. OK--so I'm posting a pic of the hall and some pretty staircases I just love. I'll keep you updated with the colors I've chosen and my design plan so I can get this thing started!

Have an idea? Let me know at areafarehome@yahoo.com  Love to hear it!

the horrible hall in question

lower hall area + one really handsome boy!


upper hall going down-look how beat up the wood is...nice right

going down-no railing right now til I paint

going up-this is as bright as it gets on the stairs-no overhead light--hmm that sounds like a hub project!
NOW SOME PRETTY LITTLE STAIRCASES THAT I SUPER LOVE AND ARE SO FUN....

PINK STAIRCASE VIA ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL THINGS (BLOG)


damask wallpaper via Stories of A to Z


black and white is a delight! Domino via Grayson

via Apartment Therapy


via Arte Styling


orange mod flowers via Design*Sponge


via Apartment Therapy


via Design*Sponge-Scott Engler home


via Design*Sponge-Karen Barlow home
 SEE YOU NEXT WEEK FOR MONDAY INSPIRATIONS--YAY!

No comments: