Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Concrete countertops...hmmm

If you are a budget conscious person considering a kitchen remodel-don't overlook concrete as an option. Well, don't overlook it if you have a handy husband, father, father-in-law, friend that will work for free-etc etc. My cousin has them in her kitchen and they are actually very pretty and sophisticated looking. It's alot of work and a huge mess, but it can save you thousands of dollars. I'm looking at white countertops-I love the Caesarstone Quartz in blizzard white or Silestone White Zeus-but it's getting pretty expensive when I start adding everything up-and I really want nice stainless appliances. One of the largest surface areas in our kitchen will be the bar/counter area. I'm thinking of doing that in concrete. I think it will add a bit of that industrial look I like without going over the top and definitely save some $$$.

here's a couple of links to a crash course in "How to" DIY concrete countertops...

DIY network concrete countertops
Imperfectly Polished blog...

Here are a few pics of "real life" concrete countertops I found on flickr...





several of these countertops came from..decorative accents of virginia..they have a good "real world" gallery of homes they've worked in check it out...





Here's a peek at what I've got going on today...lol..I absolutely love it!

little Roo (aka Big Baby) coloring on the chalkboard in our kitchen-beware parents-- this one draws on all the walls in our house I think he thinks it's all one big chalkboard-something to consider-hahaha

3 comments:

Lauren said...

We have concrete counters, and I love them. Here's a link to the blog post I wrote awhile back about our kitchen: http://www.stillpluslife.com/bluerainroom/2011/06/come-and-see-the-kitchen-what-it-is.html

My favorite part about the counters are the embedded tiles and the drain for the dish rack by the sink. We didn't do them ourselves; we know our limits people! But here's a post I wrote about the process and the guys who did. http://www.stillpluslife.com/bluerainroom/2011/06/come-and-see-the-kitchen-what-it-is.html

Have fun with your project! Can't wait to follow along!

Jen said...

thanks for the great information! I think I'm most excited to have a dishwasher again-don't know what ya got til it's gone! lol

xo

Deena Smith said...

Beautiful photos! I wish I had a handy husband and long list of other helpful friends-I am jealous! I wanted to try some diy projects in our kitchen, but we ended up hiring out to NJ granite countertops. You must be so proud of yourselves! Keep up the fabulous work